Friday, August 31, 2012

AUDIO: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis


I had only seen the movie version once, awhile ago, before listening to the audio version in this set. I knew the story included the two youngest Pevensies and an annoying cousin named Eustace who, at some point, turns into a dragon. I didn't remember much more; it didn't make a great impression. We watched the movie again after hearing the book, and I was disappointed at how much it strayed from the original source material!

The story itself seemed to drag a little as Caspian, Edmund, Lucy and Eustace went from island to island to island looking for the lost Lords of Telmar. There were times I thought they would never get to Aslan's land. The final leg of their trip seemed especially slow and drawn out. But if I had to choose between the more deliberate route covered by the book or the mashed up version they put in the movie, I would pick the book every time. I enjoyed the discovery aspects of the journey - they were all adventurers, striking out in largely uncharted territory. When my students ask for adventure books, I'm going to steer them to this one. I'll probably read chapter one with my writing club students to talk about writing with one's senses. This is a great example!

4 out of 5 stars
AR Rating of 5.9

No comments:

Post a Comment