Wednesday, August 29, 2012

AUDIO: Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis


I have never read the Chronicles of Narnia. Every summer I promise I'm going to read them, and I never get around to it. This summer I decided I was going to do it, even if I had to let someone else do the work. So I bought this audio set and we have loved it!

We decided to listen to the books in publication order rather than the publisher's order. After reading pros and cons of each, that seemed best to me.

I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to be slow. I don't know that I have ever read the book before, but I know the story line well enough that I really wanted things to move along a lot faster. But I found Prince Caspian to be delightful! So far, it is my favorite.

The story itself is a lot of flashbacks. The four Pevensie children are pulled into Narnia and meet a dwarf they don't know. The dwarf tells Caspian's story which, for being a flashback, is pretty engrossing. Then the kids enter the story already in progress, helping Caspian secure the thrown that is rightfully his. (My favorite part is when Miraz, the usurping king, is played by his advisors - that scene is masterfully written and masterfully performed.)

I've only seen the movie version once or twice, which is nice for a visual of some of the players, but I like the book far better (the added scene in the movie is atrocious, in my opinion).

If you already enjoy the Narnia stories, or if you like audio books in general, this is a great set!

4 out of 5 stars
AR Rating of 5.7

No comments:

Post a Comment