Monday, October 13, 2014

THE IRON TRIAL by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

The Iron Trial (Magisterium Series #1)

Callum Hunt is an unpopular, angry boy with a damaged leg and mysterious past. Those things define him until he is admitted to the Magisterium to study magic. Call is the worst student in the trials because his father has warned him all his life that he needed to fail the trials. But he is accepted anyway, and once there, Call starts to get a sense of who he is - but things aren't necessarily what they appear in a world filled with magic. 

Wow. This was engaging and intriguing right from the beginning.Mysteries are probed, secrets are revealed and plenty of questions are left for the next book in the series. The characters are typical teen/pre-teens dealing with issues of friends, popularity and identity as they try to decide the kind of people they want to be. Plenty of questions left to draw readers forward in search of answers. I would recommend this to fans of the Harry Potter books. This has a different tone, but a similar premise with the magical training school.

4.5 out of 5
AR Reading level of 5.6

* I received an electronic copy of this book from the publisher for free in the hope that I would review it honestly on my blog. Regardless, I only review books I enjoyed. I don’t believe in passing on negative reviews. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment