Friday, November 1, 2013

PALACE OF SPIES by Sarah Zettel

Palace of Spies

Peggy has nothing - no parents to look out for her, no money or status, no one to stand up for her against a ruthless fiance's accusations. She finds herself on the street with nothing. But then an avenue out of her trouble presents itself - pretend to be a maid of honor to the Princess of England. But Peggy finds more trouble in the palace than she bargained for - blackmail, lies, secrets, treason, and murder. Can Peggy figure out what's really going on before she is discovered - or killed?

When I went to ALA this summer, I had this book on my list of Advance Reader Copies I wanted, but I missed it. The publisher graciously sent me an electronic copy this summer. The story was just as good as I had hoped. Great story, great intrigue. The setting and the time period aren't what I usually read, but I really enjoyed the palace scenes and the discussion of the clothes and expectations of the era. This feels like the beginning of a series, and if that is the case, I will be lining up for book two.  The main character was a lot of fun - I loved the scene she has with the Princess' daughter. The other characters were also well written - it was hard to tell who to trust. Great mystery. There is some language and adult situations that would lead me to steer teens towards this one rather than my elementary students. Releases November 5th.

4 out of 5 stars

* I received this book from the publisher for free in the hope that I would review it honestly on my blog. Regardless, I only review books I enjoyed. I don’t believe in passing on negative reviews. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment