Friday, November 30, 2012

CHAPTER BOOK: Home Court (STAT - Standing Tall and Talented) by Amar'e Stoudemire

Home Court (STAT: Standing Tall and Talented Series #1)

A young man studying Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., discovers in a practical way how important it is to stand up for the right thing and how it helps to have the support of your community. Amar'e and his friends have to decide if they are going to let some bigger, tougher guys take over their neighborhood basketball court, or if they are going to stand tough for their space and their community. Based on the life of the author, NBA star, Amar'e Stoudemire.

I really enjoyed reading this story. Having read other stories written by folks who are famous for things other than writing, I was skeptical about how good this might be. I was pleasantly surprised. This story will appeal to both my boys and girls at school. I think my third graders and older students will want to check this one out. And I've already bought the sequel and have book three on my watch list. This series could fill a nice gap in my library collection for books that will appeal to a wide range of students.

4 out of 5 stars
AR reading level of 4.4

No cautions


No comments:

Post a Comment