Monday, December 3, 2012

PICTURE BOOK: Ruth and the Green Book by Calvin A. Ramsey

Ruth and the Green Book

A sad story about how blacks were treated in our country in the 1950s. A family driving from Chicago to Alabama to visit family is refused service time after time because they are black. The family discovers The Green Book which tells them about places on their travel route that will serve blacks.

On one level, I was appalled at this reminder of how callous and cruel people were (and unfortunately, still are) to others because of the color of their skin. As a teacher, though, I was thrilled with this well-written story about a part of our history I hadn't heard before. I think this will be a great addition to our library - a book I will definitely share during Black History Month in February as well as showcasing with my students at other times during the school year.

4 out of 5 stars
AR Reading Level of 4.6

No cautions

No comments:

Post a Comment