Monday, March 21, 2011

MONDAY: The Talent Show

Summary 
Cape Bluff, Kansas is decimated by a tornado. Hopefully, a talent show featuring the kids of the community will raise enough money to start to put things right again. And there are plenty of talented kids - Paul, the guitar player; Julia, the dancer; Elke, the singer; Richard, the rapper; and Don, the comedian. Not to mention the famous pop star, Justin Chanda, formerly of Cape Bluff. But he's in New York, working on a new album. How could the talent show have anything to do with him?

Review

This was the second book chosen by my students for me to read based on the beginning of the story [I talked about this in my review of The Candymakers]. I didn't love the story at first, but it grew on me. By the end, I really cared about what happened to the students and the community.



4 out of 5 stars

Recommended for: children over 9 or 10 due to descriptions of the tornado damage, classroom story time, aspiring performers


Cautions: realistic descriptions of the tornado and the damage it inflicts might be frightening to sensitive readers

[I am an Amazon Associate. If you link to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a small portion of the purchase price.]

No comments:

Post a Comment