Monday, January 17, 2011

MONDAY: Happy Birthday Bad Kitty

Summary

My son got this book and we zoomed through it over two nights of bedtime reading. 

You get a little of Bad Kitty's back story in this book - she wasn't always a bad kitty. When she was a little kitty, she was very good and sweet. She was born in a shelter and was very helpful and she loved her mama. When she was old enough to be adopted, Bad Kitty didn't want to go (this choked me up a little) and after that she was bad, bad, bad.


For Bad Kitty's birthday, she wants one particular gift - a special scratching post. A $600 scratching post. Kitty's friends come to the party and bring her all sorts of gifts, but no scratching post. Kitty does not handle her disappointment well. Maybe a special birthday guest will redeem the birthday disaster.


Review

The writing here is pretty simple, making it a great book to read out loud with kids. The illustrations are great and the descriptions of Kitty's friends are a hoot. Once we finished this one, we were ready to read the rest in the series.



4 out of 5 stars

Recommended for: early chapter book readers, kids who like animals, parents looking for things to read out loud with their kids


Cautions: Extra sensitive kids might be sad that Kitty had to leave her mama.





[I am an Amazon Associate. If you link to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a small portion of the purchase price.]

3 comments:

  1. My sons liked this one as well--it's a good quick read. We've had it about a year and haven't read the others yet. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing a picture book about cats in legal trouble. Probably too adult.
    Sincerely,
    Feline, Esq.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter loves these. I think she mostly loves that she can read them in one sitting! I need to buy her fatter books...

    ReplyDelete