Monday, October 6, 2014

LITTLE AUTHOR IN THE BIG WOODS by Yona Zeldis McDonough

Little Author in the Big Woods: A Biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder

This lovely children's biography about author, Laura Ingalls Wilder, tells of her childhood and her family exploring the Midwest and the hardship of life in the late 1800s. It also tells of her marriage and her writing career. The "voice" in this book is excellent - not surprising from this great biographer (Who Was Rosa Parks? Who was John F Kennedy? etc.) for kids. I remember the TV show based on Wilder's books, but I have not read the series myself. I had plenty to connect with in this biography, even without having read the famous books. Fans of both the books and the TV show would enjoy this engaging behind-the-scenes look at Wilder's life. I think this biography could inspire readers to try her books if they haven't tried them before.

5 out of 5 stars
No AR reading level at the time of this writing

* I received an electronic copy of this book from the publisher for free in the hope that I would review it honestly on my blog. Regardless, I only review books I enjoyed. I don’t believe in passing on negative reviews. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment