Monday, November 18, 2013

ASKING FOR TROUBLE by Sandra Byrd

Asking for Trouble (London Confidential Series #1)
Savvy Smith is a high school student transplanted by her family's move from the States to London, England. The whole family is struggling to find their place in this new community, especially Savvy who can't find a club where she fits or a group of friends to spend time with. Savvy knows that she belongs on the newspaper staff (something she would have been doing if she had stayed in the US at her old school), but she has no experience and the editor isn't looking to train anyone. As Savvy tries to find her place and sort out her faith in the face of her struggles, she gets a brilliant idea to get her foot in the door at the paper.

I struggle to find Christian fiction that I think will appeal to my students that also has an AR quiz so they can read it for credit at school This book covers both. I enjoyed Savvy's story - her faith struggles feel genuine as do her school and social struggles. I like the fact that her idea - and advice column for the paper - ties into the things she is learning in her faith. I think my students will enjoy this one.

4 out of 5 stars
AR reading level of 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment