Friday, June 22, 2012

FRIDAY: Redshirts by John Scalzi

Redshirts

Summary:  Any Star Trek fan knows you do not want to be the guy in a red shirt when it's time for an away mission. That guy always dies! Even in the 2009 Star Trek movie (one of my all time favorite movies), two main characters and a random guy in a red suit go on a mission. You could hear the fans in the theater muttering about the third guy's fate before they even launched. 

Well, the characters in Redshirts are living that reality. The "old timers" avoid away missions, hiding when a member of the command group walks by. It doesn't take long for the newbies to catch on that they want to stay on the ship where it is (relatively) safe, rather than going on an adventurous (read: deadly) away mission. But one newbie, Andy Dahl, starts to wonder if there isn't something deeper going on that keeps the command crew alive and everyone else at risk. He's determined to figure it out before he's the next victim.

Review: The minute I heard about this book, I knew I was going to read it. I tried out the four free chapters (available here from Barnes and Noble for the Nook or here for the Amazon Kindle) on my phone's Kindle app (which was surprisingly okay for a reading experience) before buying the whole thing. I had read mixed reviews of the book. The negative reviews seem to be from people who were expecting this to be deep, hard core science fiction. It's just not. It's science fiction poking fun at itself and personally, I enjoyed the joke. The three codas were interesting. One reviewer I read said he enjoyed the first one but just wanted the whole thing done by the time he got to two and three. I felt the opposite. I ended up skimming the first one, but thoroughly enjoyed the other two. If you enjoy science fiction, but you don't take it - or yourself - too seriously, check out Redshirts.

4 out of 5 stars

Cautions: language and adult situations

No comments:

Post a Comment