Friday, March 23, 2012

BOOK FAIR Preview: Sound Bender by Lin Oliver

Summary
Leo's parents are dead, so he and his brother move in with their uncle, a wealthy and secretive business man. In the midst of his grief, Leo receives a birthday package from his father - an unusual disc - along with a story about Leo's birth. A story Leo has never heard before. The letter and the disc unleash a power in Leo; when touching an object, he hears things that took place around or related to the object. At first, it is simple stuff - a girl drops a pen and he hears her dad talking to her about the pen. He picks up a dropped backpack and hears the girl's mom tell her to grab her brother's backpack since she can't find her own. Then Leo touches an artifact in his uncle's warehouse and he hears a horrifying sound that he can't place but knows he has heard before. Leo is determined to track down that sound, no matter what.


Review
I originally read this book because it came in the preview pack for our book fair. I'm not sure I would have picked it up on my own, but I found it to be completely engrossing and delightful. The grief of the brothers is well portrayed without overpowering the rest of the story. Plenty of mystery surrounds the supporting cast, especially the uncle. I can recommend this wholeheartedly to my students who like adventure and fantasy stories.


4 out of 5 stars
AR level of 4.9


Recommended for: school, home and public libraries, fans of adventure and fantasy stories
Cautions: AR bookfinder says there is mild profanity in the book. Maybe I was too caught up in the story, but I did not catch any.

No comments:

Post a Comment