Monday, December 20, 2010

MONDAY: The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones (Book 1)

Amy and Dan Cahill are orphans under the "supervision"of their great-aunt Beatrice (whose idea of guardianship means hiring and firing a string of au-pairs to stay with the kids in a small apartment on another side of town from where she lives). The only real family who shows them any sort of love is their grandmother, Grace. 
When Grace dies, the money-grubbing Cahills come out of the woodwork, but only select family members are included in her will, including Amy and Dan. But there is a catch. Each one has to choose between a million dollars in cash or the chance at the "most important treasure in the world" and power "beyond belief."

Amy and Dan choose the challenge over the money, but the first steps in their journey teach them quickly that their family members are cunning, ruthless manipulators and liars. They have only one another to count on.

Great start to a 10 book series (with more stories to come). Dan and Amy take turns with the story and Riordan doles out backstory bit by bit to draw the reader in without distracting from the action.

I find it fascinating that 10 different authors can pen part of the story without losing the voice of the characters. We plan to read the whole series, so there may be more reviews to come.


[I am an Amazon Associate. When you connect to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.]

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I'm doing my 5 comments today all on your blog! Woot!

    I liked this two. The second one was just so-so but I just bought the set for my school library and feel like I should read the rest. I love all the authors so it shouldn't be too painful or anything. If you like it your should check out Korman's On the Run series. It's like 24 for kids! Fun stuff...

    ReplyDelete