Friday, June 25, 2010

FRIDAY: Soulless

A few weeks ago I mentioned the book Changeless as one I was eager to read. I realized after I posted that that Changeless was actually the second book in the series. Book one, Soulless, is about a woman in Victorian England named Alexia Tarabotti. In Alexia's London, vampires, ghosts, and werewolves are an accepted part of the culture. Alexia is her own sort of "supernatural," though - she has no soul and therefore can keep a vampire from producing fangs and a werewolf from changing into the wolf. Mysterious things are happening around London and Alexia keeps finding herself in the middle of them - including a vampire attack and a near kidnapping. Her relationships with the Alpha werewolf and an ancient and well-connected vampire draw her further into the mystery until she is in mortal danger.


I have said before, I am picky about my fantasy reading. Up until now the only "urban fantasy" books I have really enjoyed have been Shanna Swendson's Enchanted series and Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series. This book was the best sort of urban fantasy for my tastes. The author's voice and pacing are a lot of fun. I could *hear* Alexia's voice and she sounds (in my head) like someone I'd like to hang out with. She's smart and sassy, my favorite kind of leading lady. I checked this book out from the library, along with the sequel, and by chapter 11, I had bought my own copies of both. (A third, Blameless, is due out September 1, 2010).


While this book is labeled and shelved in the fantasy/science fiction section of the book store, there is a romantic element to the plot, and more sensitive readers should be aware of that.

[I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.]

No comments:

Post a Comment