Friday, April 30, 2010

FRIDAY: Twisted Tales

I love traditional fairy tales - and their twisted cousins - things like The Fairy Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1) (Bk. 1) and the movie Hoodwinked (Widescreen Edition) 

So, I saw this book at the bookstore recently and had to give it a try. I was not disappointed. It is an anthology, which I have come to appreciate more and more in the past few years. I can dig into a short story and then walk away from the book for a day or two if life gets busy. I can also try out a handfull of different authors to see what new characters and styles I might like.

In this book, my favorite tales were Jack and the Genetic Beanstalk by Robert E. Vardeman (Jack goes looking for answers at an agriculture corporation and discovers a giant problem), A Charming Murder by Mary Louise Eklund (a twist on the Cinderella story), and Capricious Animistic Tempter by Mickey Zucker Reichart (Puss in Boots). The stories generally have a dark tone, especially compared the Disney version of some of these Tales, and some are darker than others. If you like a twist on the expected, check out these Fairy Tales.

[I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.]

No comments:

Post a Comment