Thursday, March 11, 2010

THURSDAY: The Art of War for Writers

James Scott Bell is the author of Plot & Structure: (Techniques And Exercises For Crafting A Plot That Grips Readers From Start To Finish) (Write Great Fiction), a great resource for writers.

In The Art of War, Bell provides small, manageable tips for writers on everything from the most basic ideas for beginners ("Publishing is a business," setting reasonable writing goals, no whining but just do the work) to more complicated skills like developing a "writing improvement program," developing plot and characters, and strategic planning.

I think this is a fabulous resource. I like Bell's voice and style anyway, but I found the small chunks covered in this book to be just the right size to challenge or inspire and then send me back to writing. 

[I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.]

No comments:

Post a Comment