Wednesday, January 6, 2010

WEDNESDAY: The Year of Living Like Jesus

Ed Dobson heard an interview with A. J. Jacobs regarding his "Year of Living Biblically" and decided to try to live for a year like Jesus. He tried to eat kosher and he celebrated Shabbat and the Jewish festivals. He read the gospels over and over and over to become more familiar with the life of Jesus. He looked into different Christian methods of prayer, focusing on the life and death of Jesus, like the Rosary and Stations of the Cross. He went to a bar and talked to people about his journey. He struggled with principles like loving your enemies and giving to anyone who asks. He applied the things he was learning about Jesus to his choice for president in the 2008 election.

I appreciated Dobson's honesty and transparency with is experience and his struggles. I loved that he sometimes got "sick" of reading the gospels over and over. I enjoyed the stories of efforts he made to eat kosher and then goofed anyway. I loved his wistful comments about wanting to be able to eat bacon again. His journey was a joy to read. An excellent book!

[I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.]

No comments:

Post a Comment