Wednesday, January 13, 2010

WEDNESDAY: The Liturgical Year by Joan Chittister

As a reviewer for Thomas Nelson Publishing, I have the opportunity to review books being published by the company. They post a few choices and I can pick one at a time. I chose this particular book because I thought it would be interesting to learn more about the church calendar.

In The Liturgical Year, Joan Chittister looks at the church year, from the most "basic" unit of the weekly Sunday remembrance of the Resurrection to the more elaborate celebrations of Advent and Easter. She encourages readers to not just go through the motions year after year but to truly engage in the celebration - to grow in it each year, celebrating it with fresh eyes and hearts. For example, the observation of the resurrection on Easter and the promise of Christ's return might have a different depth to someone who has lost a spouse than it did before the loss. The birth of Christ and the celebration of Christmas may be different to a new mother than it was when she was single.

Unfortunately, I could not engage with this book. I do not blame the book at all. I think the material is well presented. I would give it four stars out of five. To the right reader, this is a book rich with passion and encouragement to savor each celebration of the Church. I may return to it at another point in my life when I am ready to dig a little deeper into the meaning of each observance. It just wasn't a good fit for me in this season.

[I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.]

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just hate it when that happens. You're all ready to enjoy but bam! the tv pulls you from the pages, then slam! you're thinking about what you forgot to put on your list of things to do.
    As a writer, I find I'm harder on books I read. I don't understand that because I know the blood, sweat and pain that goes into one before it is published.

    ReplyDelete