Thursday, August 13, 2009

THURSDAY: Repotting Harry Potter


Our Harry Potter weeks are coming to a close with two final entries of non-fiction books about the series. There are many more books out there, but my TBR (to be read) pile is growing and I am ready to move on! So, here is the next to the last book in my series - Repotting Harry Potter.

The subtitle of this book is "A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader." That sounds like me! So I had to pick this one up. The idea is to draw the reader's attention to details you may have missed during your first read through the series. As a HP fan, I generally enjoy any discussion of the books and this book is enjoyable. Since I have read the books multiple times already, though, there weren't a lot of new tidbits that I hadn't already noticed myself.

To his credit, Thomas does raise some issues with inconsistencies and unanswered questions that I enjoyed reading. He also looks at each book a few chapters at a time rather than just one book at a time like some of the other commentaries I have reviewed. Thomas' break down gives the reader a lot more detail. I have also enjoyed some of his asides that send the reader off to do his/her own Google searches for more background information for the symbols and allusions in the books.

If you have never read the series and plan to, or if you have only gone through it once, you may find a lot to enjoy in Repotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment