Wednesday, January 8, 2014

THE SECRET BOX by Whitaker Ringwald

The Secret Box

(I received an electronic copy of this book from the publisher on Edelweiss.)

Cousins Jax and Ethan are best friends. Jax is the impulsive, adventurous one. Ethan is the quiet, obedient one who gets dragged into trouble because of his loyalty to Jax. When Jax gets a present for her 12th birthday from a secret relative, and her mom refuses to give her the package, Jax is determined to have her gift no matter what. Ethan and his brother Tyler are along for the ride as Jax's determination to get her gift leads them to national monuments, dangerous villains and destructive magic that could destroy the world if it falls into the wrong hands.

This felt like the first part of a much larger story. While I enjoyed the story, I felt like there was a lot of set up and not as much of the "meat" of the story as I wanted. The themes of the story are bravery, family, hope and obsession. Includes some Greek mythology that might appeal to fans of Rick Riordan's books.

3.5 out of 4 stars
This book is scheduled to release on Febraury 25, 2014

* I received this book from the publisher for free in the hope that I would review it honestly on my blog. Regardless, I only review books I enjoyed. I don’t believe in passing on negative reviews. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment