Friday, March 8, 2013

PICTURE BOOK: The Princess and the Pig by Jonathan Emmett

The Princess and the Pig

On the same day, a farmer discovers a small pig in his wagon and a queen is holding her baby girl. In one rash move, the baby tumbles from the tower into the wagon and the piglet is bounced from the hay up into the princess's crib. The farmer and his wife believe a fairy has turned their pig into a child as a gracious and benevolent act while the king and queen believe an angry fairy has turned their princess into a pig because she wasn't invited to the christening. The girl grows up sweet and charming while the pig is just a pig. Eventually, the farmer and his wife realize what has happened. Sadly they head off to the castle to make things right....

I won't spoil the fun by telling the end. I'll only say this book was a delight to read from beginning to end. I found this one at the Scholastic Book Fair at our church and my first thought after reading this was, "Why wasn't THIS book in my preview pack!" I thought it was far better than anything else Scholastic had included in their pre-packaged preview sets for advertising their spring fairs. I can't wait to read this one to my students and rave about it to every teacher and parent who comes through our fair at the end of the month. This was a winner!

5 out of 5 stars
AR reading level of 4.2

Recommended for: Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment