Friday, September 28, 2012

CHAPTER BOOK: Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur

Love, Aubrey

When the story starts, Aubrey is alone. Over time, the reader realizes that something tragic has happened, leaving Aubrey and her mother to pick up the pieces. But Aubrey's mom left - just disappeared. Aubrey's grandmother comes to check on them after her phone calls go unanswered and she finds Aubrey alone. She takes her home while the family tries to find Aubrey's mom. Through the rest of the story, Aubrey deals with her feelings about her mom and slowly comes to terms with the tragedy that changed her life forever.

This is an absolutely beautiful story - engrossing and heart-breaking. The author does an amazing job of letting the details of the story unfold slowly. I didn't even plan on reading this book - I was covering it in laminate to put it in the school library and I thought I'd just skim a smidge to see how it was. I couldn't put it down. I sniffled and brushed away tears through the whole thing. Beautiful.

4 out of 5 stars
AR level of 3.7

I would recommend this for readers in 4th grade and up, students looking for beautiful realistic fiction.

[note: Here's a link to another book by Suzanne LaFleur that I reviewed.]

No comments:

Post a Comment