Monday, July 2, 2012

PICTURE BOOK: The Best Story by Eileen Spinelli

The Best Story



Summary: A girl tries to write a story to win a roller coaster ride with her favorite author. But writing a story is hard, so she asks her family members for help. Everyone has different ideas, but none of them feel right, so she takes her mom's advice to write from the heart and writes the story she wants to tell.

Review: I'm so excited to share this book with my writing students, and maybe my library students next year. I think it is too easy for young writers to fall in to the trap of trying to write what someone else writes rather than finding their own stories to tell. I love that the reader doesn't know what happens in the end with the contest. It doesn't really matter - the girl learns so much in the journey.

AR level of 2.6
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment