Monday, August 22, 2011

MONDAY: Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge

Summary

Graphic novel about a teenage girl in a new home trying to figure out who she is and how to relate to those around her.

Review


The art in this is truly amazing (You can get a glimpse inside at the Amazon page here:Page by Paige ). I have read some other reviews that were not impressed. Either deep down I am still a teenage girl or these other reviewers never were. 
I thought the pictures really captured the character's inner turmoil, confusion and conflicting emotions. I haven't been a teenager for awhile, but my memory of that time was reflected in the illustrations. For me, the graphic parts of the story were not as much "work" as in some other graphic novels I have read. They contributed to the story - and told parts of it - beautifully.

4 out of 5 stars

Recommended for: Teens. I would love to recommend this book to younger readers, like my 5th and 6th grade students, but there are a few topics and some vocabulary that make me hesitate. I think this could be a great mother-daughter bonding sort of book. Then parents can converse with their kids about the more grown-up ideas and can talk about their own experience of growing up and the ups and downs of that process.

Cautions: some adult ideas/topics
 

No comments:

Post a Comment