Tuesday, April 12, 2011

BONUS: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs

Summary 
Story tellers all these years have completely misunderstood the whole story of the Big Bad Wolf and the Three Little Pigs. The wolf's name is really Alexander and he wasn't trying to do the pigs any harm. He only wanted to borrow a cup of sugar to make a birthday cake for his grandma - he was just being a good grandson. Is it his fault that he had a horrible, sneezy sort of cold and the pigs were such poor house builders?
Review
When I posted on Facebook that I was going to be reading this book with my "mentee" through In2Books, I received several comments from young adults that they absolutely loved this book. I can see why. Clever re-telling of the story from the wolf's perspective. Just the sort of "fractured fairy tale" I love.


4 out of 5 stars

Recommended for: children 10 and under, readers who like fairy tales or who like stories that skewer fairy tales


Cautions: none
[I am an Amazon Associate. If you link to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a small portion of the purchase price.]

2 comments:

  1. Hey... just a question/thought. Do you post the reading level of your kids' books recommendations? Elijah will start kindergarten this fall, but he's reading at a third grade level or thereabouts. Just starting a chapter book for the first time (Veggie Tales was an easy sell). Love some of the reviews on books, and we read to him, too, but would LOVE to know the age level/reader level on these, if you could add those nuggets to your reviews.

    Hope you, S and J are well!
    Love ya!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Lately I have been posting my "recommended for" section where I give an age I think is a good fit for the story. I can look into reading level/lexile information. Depends on the book publisher and how readily available the info is. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete