Thursday, March 31, 2011

TIGER TALES WEEK: Roly Poly Egg and My Mom Has X-ray Vision

Summary 
Two of my favorites of the Spring releases from Tiger Tales!


In Roly Poly Egg, Splotch the bird's new egg rolls off the tree branch and enjoys a journey with the animals in the jungle until rolling back to Splotch and hatching.


In My Mom Has X-ray Vision a boy named Matthew wonders how his mom always knows what he is up to, especially when he is doing something he shouldn't be.

Review

The artwork in both books are stellar! In Roly-Poly, the scenes and animals look like they have been paper-pieced together. Splotch and the baby bird look just like a splotch of paint. Readers can follow the egg's journey through the jungle by following the gray dotted line. At the end, a paper egg opens to reveal the baby bird. Absolutely darling! My "best of the batch."


My son gives X-ray Vision "200 stars." The illustrations are colorful and appealing. I love that Matthew's community has ethnic diversity. And the premise is 100% perfect for kids at the picture-book age. My son often asks, "How did you know?" when I catch him at something. Just what a picture book should be.



Roly-Poly Egg: 5 out of 5 stars
My Mom Has X-ray Vision: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Recommended for: children under 8 for Roly-Poly, under 10 for X-ray Vision. Roly-Poly would also make a beautiful gift book - watch little ones with the hatching egg, though. Both would be wonderful for read-alouds, although kids might be frustrated that they can't trace the egg's journey on the page when it is read to a large group.


Cautions: hatching egg could be torn if little readers get ahold of it without supervision.


Remember our GIVEAWAY this week! My Mom Has X-ray Vision is one of the books available. Leave a comment to be entered.

[I am an Amazon Associate. If you link to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a small portion of the purchase price.]

3 comments:

  1. My Mom Has X-ray Vision is a book that we need definitely need around here! Feel free to send me a copy any time. :)

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That X-Ray vision book sounds great! I love the 200-star rating it has received! ;-)
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roly-Poly Egg is the perfect addition to your Easter book collection and who wouldn't want a mom with x-ray vision! Thanks for helping us spread the word...
    Happy Reading,
    Elizabeth Bennett
    tiger tales

    ReplyDelete