Tuesday, April 6, 2010

TUESDAY: Rissa Bartholomew's Declaration of Independence

Rissa is ready to start middle school, but nothing is like she expected it to be. It starts when she notices that she's growing apart from her regular "herd" of friends. She decides to go her own way, but her "declaration of independence" doesn't go at all smoothly. Rissa rides some bumpy roads on her journey to find herself.

I felt sorry for Rissa. I thought her story was written so realistically - sixth grade and the start of middle school is a time of transition for kids. Some kids find new circles of belonging based on new interests. Other kids just get catty. Rissa's struggle was well portrayed and believable. I also loved how Rissa's journey impacts her mom, too. Good story.

[I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.]

No comments:

Post a Comment