Tuesday, January 19, 2010

BONUS BLOG: Reading Challenges revisited

Last week I posted about some reading challenges I wanted to do this year.

So far, I am keeping up pretty well on the Comment Challenge. I have read 20 books from the library for the Support Your Local Library challenge (including several picture books for review on this blog, so that helps my numbers considerably). I am a third or so into the first book from my TBR pile.

It has taken me awhile to choose my books for the Cybils challenge. There were so many to choose from! I decided to do at least 5 from certain categories, and I used the full nominees list instead of just the winners. Here they are:


Easy Readers and Short Chapter Books -

Alice's Shooting Star by Tim Kennemore
Bad to the Bone (Down Girl and Sit) (Down Girl and Sit) by Lucy Nolan
Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report (I Can Read Book 1)  by Jane O'Connor
Good Dog, Aggie  by Lori Ries
Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up by Melissa Thompson
Shampoodle (Step into Reading)  by Joan Holub

I've already read the following from this list: Elephants Cannot Dance! (An Elephant and Piggie Book) (love Mo Willems), Are You Ready to Play Outside? (An Elephant and Piggie Book),How Oliver Olson Changed the World(this one was okay), Roscoe Riley Rules #7: Never Race a Runaway Pumpkin (we love Roscoe at our house!), and Watch Me Throw the Ball! (An Elephant and Piggie Book).


Middle Grade Fantasy and Science Fiction -
The Brotherhood of the Traveling Underpants (Melvin Beederman, Superhero) by Greg Trine
I So Don't Do Mysteries by Barrie Summy
Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman
The Serial Garden: The Complete Armitage Family Stories (Junior Library Guild Selection) by Joan Aiken
Spellbinder by Helen Stringer


I've already read: Mike Stellar: Nerves of Steel (good), and The Sisters Grimm: Book Seven: The Everafter War (Bk. 7)(great series).



Young Adult Fantasy and Science Fiction
Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund
Candor by Pam Bachorz
Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins (Which means I'll have to read the first one, too.)
Fire (Graceling) by Kristin Cashore (which  means I'll finally read Graceling)
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Trilogy (Hardback))  by James Dashner


I haven't read any books in this list before now, but had a few on a list of ones I wanted to read.


Picture Books
1000 Times No by Tom Warburton
All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon
The Book That Eats People by John Perry
Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Noisy Problem by Chris Monroe
Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli by Barbara Jean Hicks
My Mom Is Trying to Ruin My Life by Kate Feiffer


In this category, I have already read: Duck! Rabbit! (Fabulous!), Family Huddle (I didn't care for it), Let's Do Nothing! (it was okay), Little Oink (I love pretty much anything by Rosenthal), Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed (can't go wrong with Mo Willems), and The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town (great illustrations).


Middle Grade Fiction
Alibi Junior High by Greg Logsted (an author I like)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney (have been waiting to read these for awhile)
Liberty Porter, First Daughter by Julia DeVillers
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart (I read the first in this series and loved it but haven't gotten to read the others)
Operation Yes by Sara Lewis Holmes


I've already read: Captain Nobody (terrific!), Extra Credit (Junior Library Guild Selection) (love Andrew Clements), NERDS: National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society (Book One) (Fabulous - love Michael Buckley, too), and Sisters Eight Book 1: Annie's Adventures (fun series).


Young Adult Fiction
And Then Everything Unraveled by Jennifer Sturman (who used to write mystery series I really liked)
The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler
Den of Thieves (A Cat Royal Adventure) by Julia Golding
Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd 
The Homeschool Liberation League by Lucy Frank
How to Buy a Love of Reading by Tanya Egan Gibson


In the category, I have only read I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to be Your Class President.


Middle Grade Graphic Novels
Babymouse #11: Dragonslayer by Jennifer Holm
Cat Burglar Black by Richard Sala
Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom by Eric Wight
The 3-2-3 Detective Agency: The Disappearance of Dave Warthog by Fiona Robinson
The Shadow Door (Elsewhere Chronicles) by Nykko


In this category, I have read (and loved): Babymouse #10: The Musical, Binky the Space Cat (Binky Adventure), Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians, Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute, and The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook.


The lists of books that were nominated are long and extensive. I will probably find even more books to read this year, but these are my goal for this particular challenge. Maybe you'll check some of them out, too!


[I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click to Amazon from one of my blogs and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.]

6 comments:

  1. Please, please make sure that you read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon from the Middle Grade Fantasy list and Anything but Typical from the Middle Grade Fiction list. You'll thank me!

    Of course, I'll also stand by the winners in my category, Fiction Picture Book - especially The Lion & the Mouse and Jeremy Draws a Monster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - I'll add them to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I'm excited that my novel, How To Buy a Love of Reading, is on your list, but I wanted to let you know that it isn't YA. (It's adult.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Tanya. It is listed on the Cybils list for Young Adult books. That's where my list came from - you can see the full list here: http://awardchallenge.galleysmith.com/2009/11/fiction-young-adult/.

    Maybe it will bring you a slew of new readers! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool, Jaymie. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete