Friday, June 26, 2009

FRIDAY: Equal Rites


I stumbled onto the Discworld series in the science fiction/fantasy section of a local bookstore. Equal Rites was the first book in the series that I could find at the library. It was interesting and quirky. There is some bad language.

Eskarina is the eighth son of an eighth son, which makes Esk a wizard. The only problem is that Esk is not a son at all, but a daughter. But there's no such thing as a female wizard, is there? The story chronicles what happens to Esk as her magic starts to develop and as she seeks her place in the all-male wizard world.

I had a hard time remembering throughout the story that Esk is only supposed to be 8. I pictured her more as a young teenager. Her story was interesting and I may read more of the stories of Discworld in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment