Thursday, May 14, 2009

THURSDAY: Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters


This book focuses on girls and women between the ages of 9 and 29 and their feelings about themselves and their bodies; experiences with eating disorders, perfectionism and other trials; and the impact of the current culture on these women. The author also shares her own struggles and experiences. While the author's generation is younger than mine, with cultural influences I didn't deal with as a young woman, her observations make me wonder about the experiences of the college-aged women we know. I also wonder about the little girls in my life and how they will fare in this culture and how we can help them to love themselves just as they are. Very thought provoking. I found the sections on perfectionism especially interesting in my own life.

[For more sensitive readers, there is some language in the book.]

No comments:

Post a Comment